The TFOL Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made by TFOLs, run by TFOLs, and only for TFOLs.

HomeFrontpageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I want to play a little game...

Go down 
+5
Deus Otiosus
Wangster
Caleb Z.
Aree't'sa
Mangatsika
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

I want to play a little game... Empty
PostSubject: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:11 pm

I have a proposal.

I do not know how many of you have heard of the game Diplomacy, but I wanted to know if six of you were interested in playing a game.

While it may seem complicated, it actually has very simple mechanics, and is easy to learn, you only have to think differently because the main interaction is with the other players, not the game itself. Check the Wiki page or the most recent PDF on this page for the full rules.

I suggest we use this site to play. It's free and easy to sign up.

I can set the "rounds" to be anywhere from 1 to 7 days (but I think 1 or 2 days would be enough, depending on what you guys think.) This might seem long, but this game will only take up as much of your time as you give it.

I can answer any questions you may have, and if you are interested, just post a reply in this topic and once we have six players (seven are required for the game), we could play an intro round, and maybe more afterwards if you guys are still interested.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I doubt it. I tried to set up a game of Space Empires 3, which doesn't even need registering, and nobody bit.

Looks interesting enough; I've heard it's chock-full of opportunities to lie your arse off and backstab your "associates", but never played. Apparently it also only works properly with more than four players.
Back to top Go down
Caleb Z.
Caleb Z.

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 am

I would play, but i don't know anything about this game, and it looks very complicated.
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 5:56 am

Caleb Z. wrote:
I would play, but i don't know anything about this game, and it looks very complicated.
The basic rules can be summed up in two points:

1. All units have equal strength
2. Only one unit can occupy a territory at a time.
Back to top Go down
Wangster
Not Going Anywhere
Not Going Anywhere
Wangster

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am

I probably won't have time....
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Mangatsika wrote:
Caleb Z. wrote:

Like chess?
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Come to think of it, Manga...
http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=space%20empires%203&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.malfador.com%2Fse3.html&ei=DeYKT7PmNvGaiQeYp42pCQ&usg=AFQjCNGMTp5NkLzbwGgNxH1t3Xqvzgchig

It's pretty old, which is a plus; play-by-email, they call it. All we need is to find a third (and preferably fourth as well) player and we'll be set.

(It also has very comprehensive help files.)
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 am

Deus Otiosus wrote:
Mangatsika wrote:
Caleb Z. wrote:

Like chess?
Yup. Except with seven players and a different board.
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Come to think of it, Manga...
http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=space%20empires%203&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.malfador.com%2Fse3.html&ei=DeYKT7PmNvGaiQeYp42pCQ&usg=AFQjCNGMTp5NkLzbwGgNxH1t3Xqvzgchig

It's pretty old, which is a plus; play-by-email, they call it. All we need is to find a third (and preferably fourth as well) player and we'll be set.

(It also has very comprehensive help files.)
I'd be game if we could find some more players.
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 am

Mangatsika wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
Mangatsika wrote:
Caleb Z. wrote:

Like chess?
Yup. Except with seven players and a different board.
Sounds nice, but I'll stick to chess.
Back to top Go down
Eric 'Hawk' Mickle
Established Member
Established Member
Eric 'Hawk' Mickle

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 am

Mangatsika wrote:
I have a proposal.

I do not know how many of you have heard of the game Diplomacy, but I wanted to know if six of you were interested in playing a game.

While it may seem complicated, it actually has very simple mechanics, and is easy to learn, you only have to think differently because the main interaction is with the other players, not the game itself. Check the Wiki page or the most recent PDF on this page for the full rules.

I suggest we use this site to play. It's free and easy to sign up.

I can set the "rounds" to be anywhere from 1 to 7 days (but I think 1 or 2 days would be enough, depending on what you guys think.) This might seem long, but this game will only take up as much of your time as you give it.

I can answer any questions you may have, and if you are interested, just post a reply in this topic and once we have six players (seven are required for the game), we could play an intro round, and maybe more afterwards if you guys are still interested.
Reminds me of ConquerClub.com. I forget why I stopped playing...
Back to top Go down
Ru
Ru

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 am

I'll play, if you need me.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 pm

So, Space Empires 3, who wants a go? Naturally, I'd start at a bit of a penalty, since I've been playing it for a while.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:23 pm

How do you play Space Empires 3?
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Ben wrote:
Well, it's a 4X game with a few twists. You start off by designing some scout ships; little more than engines with a life-support module attached, to go off and explore far-flung star systems before the "enemy", at this stage nebulously defined and more of a philosophical concept than a concrete threat, finds them. Then you design a colony ship or five, depending on starting tech, to liberate any uninhabited planets in your home star system from their nonexistent oppressors. You (well, it's how I do it) then design a small orbital shipyard, or order your researches to figure out how to build a zero-gravity drydock, so that you can build multiple ships at once. You queue up the next 20 turns worth of infrastructure construction on you home planet(s), choosing between a number of facilities; one creates Construction Points, which you spend to build and maintain ships and facilities, one creates Research Points, which let you research quicker, one creates Espionage points, which you spend to get up to monkey business in other people's empires and/or use to stop them from doing it to you, and so on. The help file goes into more detail.

Once you've ordered planetary constructions, they take a while to complete; you can queue up as many as you want, and each facility takes between 2 to 5 turns to complete, depending on the planet's population. More workers = faster construction.

And about that point, you end turn, pack the generated save file into an email, and send it to the next player.

It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it; if you've got a planet with two orbital shipyards around it, and you order the planet to build, oh, ten Dignified Lily pattern Light Cruiser class warPeaceships, it'll delegate construction to the shipyards. And they'll then spend the next five or ten turns constructing your Peace Fleet. It's quite handy; you can manually alter the build queues, so as to coordinate construction; that way, a carrier and its payload of fighters can be arranged to all complete construction in the same turn, so once that turn comes around, you can pack the ship with fighters and send it off to the border of known space to hold back the barbarian hordes.
Said hordes being anyone who isn't either you or allied with you.

It has quite a detailed tech tree; do you want your warships to carry mainly beam weapons? Missiles? Short-ranged but deadly high energy weapns? Plasma torpedoes? Tractor beams and boarding parties? Same thing for ship design; there's no "basic" ships. You have to choose a point in the trifecta of engines, shields, and weapons; do you want a slow but almost unbeatable warship? It'll be effective, but its slowness will force you to keep it close to resupply bases. Fast and deadly but lightly shielded? Long ranged and dangerous, but you'd better have a decisive advantage in terms of numbers, or you'll lose ships quickly.

It's easier to see for yourself than to explain, and since it's an old game, it's not a very large download:
http://www.malfador.com/se3dwnld.html

The included help files are very detailed, and, in fact, include an extensive section on the subject of "How To Play". It's much better at it than I am.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately I don't have time for that, right now.
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:44 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Ben wrote:
-snip-
So, it's like Civilization... in space?
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Mangatsika wrote:
Aree't'sa wrote:
Ben wrote:
-snip-
So, it's like Civilization... in space?
Wouldn't know, haven't played any of them. Be a lot simpler if you'd play a quick game against the AI; 2.7MB isn't a very large download.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 pm

Right then: yes/no?
Back to top Go down
Brian
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 pm

I'd have a go.
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Right then: yes/no?
For Space Empires 3? I'd love to, only one problem that I didn't recognize up until now:

I run Mac.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Ben wrote:

It's easier to see for yourself than to explain, and since it's an old game, it's not a very large download:
http://www.malfador.com/se3dwnld.html
Do I need 64-bit Windows?
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:14 am

Brian wrote:
Do I need 64-bit Windows?
It's very old. I don't think it'd even run on 64-bit anything. Could be wrong; I don't own one, so I couldn't say.
Mangatsika wrote:
For Space Empires 3? I'd love to, only one problem that I didn't recognize up until now:

I run Mac.
You could try running it anyway; might work.
Alternately, the fourth game in the series reportedly runs very well on http://www.winehq.org/, so I see no reason the third one would have any problems.

Wine's supposed to be a pain to install on a Mac, though: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
Back to top Go down
Brian
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 am

Hmph. It said I couldn't download it because I didn't have 64-bit.

I was going to join Diplomacy, but I had trouble with the Anti-Spam Measures.. any of you have an account?
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 am

Brian wrote:

I was going to join Diplomacy, but I had trouble with the Anti-Spam Measures.. any of you have an account?
I have an account, haven't really used it yet though. I might suggest jumping into a few games on you own, lets you learn at you own pace.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 am

Brian wrote:
Huh.

Here's a direct link: http://www.malfador.com/downloads/se3v117.zip
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Wine wants me to install 10 gigs worth of bull. I'm out.

Anyone want to play chess?
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 am

Mangatsika wrote:

Someone does.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 4:05 am

Mangatsika wrote:

Ten gigs? That's a bit ridiculous.
Did you try running the SE3 .exe anyway? Who knows, might work.
Back to top Go down
Brian
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Brian wrote:
Huh.

It still won't download, for the same reason, and I checked, I do have a 64-bit. I'm thinking it's a graphics card thing.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:27 am

Brian wrote:
Aree't'sa wrote:
Brian wrote:
Huh.

It still won't download, for the same reason, and I checked, I do have a 64-bit. I'm thinking it's a graphics card thing.
Graphics card has no effect on what you can and can't download.
Screenshot of the error?
Back to top Go down
Brian
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Brian wrote:
Aree't'sa wrote:
Brian wrote:
Huh.

Graphics card has no effect on what you can and can't download.
Screenshot of the error?
Back to top Go down
Mangatsika
Established Member
Established Member
Mangatsika

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:38 am

Aree't'sa wrote:
Mangatsika wrote:

Ten gigs? That's a bit ridiculous.
Did you try running the SE3 .exe anyway? Who knows, might work.
Yeah, might as well give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:50 am

Brian wrote:
Well, there you go: it downloaded fine, you just can't run it.

There's a reason I still use XP, you know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want to play a little game...   I want to play a little game... Empty

Back to top Go down

I want to play a little game...
Page 1 of 1