The TFOL Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made by TFOLs, run by TFOLs, and only for TFOLs.

HomeFrontpageSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Fun" Chat!

Go down 
+22
LukeClarenceVan
JohnDaniels
Quad
Freeling ++
Athanasios
SISE The AI
Austin Durick
Brian
Chronos
Ehh
Owen S.
Ben
Wangster
Mangatsika
Ru
Medieval Guy
SaberCascade
Aree't'sa
Eric 'Hawk' Mickle
Hayden.
Caleb Z.
Deus Otiosus
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Arnas
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
Arnas

"Fun" Chat! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:
Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:

School is STILL screwing me over... but, fortunately, once I graduate in May, I'm going to take a gap year and as such I'll have an ENTIRE YEAR FREE to do many things, including LEGOs. It's gonna be awesome! Smile

Cool! Smile

I hope so! I'm really looking forward to it.

What about you? What are your plans for the next.... I dunno. Few years. Have you decided on a career direction yet?

...I haven't. :/

Well, I'll be going to the army soon. In a couple years. Or less. And afterwards I'm thinking about pursuing a career in programming. Happy
are you getting drafted or going in by choice?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Arnas wrote:

are you getting drafted or going in by choice?

Everyone from age 18 is drafted into the army. For boys, 3 years, for girls, 2 years. So I don't have much choice. But anyways, not everything is fighting, there are scientific divisions and intelligence... Honestly I do want to join. Although not really into fighting.
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:
Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:

School is STILL screwing me over... but, fortunately, once I graduate in May, I'm going to take a gap year and as such I'll have an ENTIRE YEAR FREE to do many things, including LEGOs. It's gonna be awesome! Smile

Cool! Smile

I hope so! I'm really looking forward to it.

What about you? What are your plans for the next.... I dunno. Few years. Have you decided on a career direction yet?

...I haven't. :/

Well, I'll be going to the army soon. In a couple years. Or less. And afterwards I'm thinking about pursuing a career in programming. Happy
Dude same here! Well minus the army part. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 pm

crash703 wrote:

Cool. You understand recursion? (according to your title Tongue) It hurts my head to think about it, since once I tried to follow what happens on paper for a simple recursion problem, except it got slightly confusing Worried
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Ben wrote:
crash703 wrote:

Cool. You understand recursion? (according to your title Tongue) It hurts my head to think about it, since once I tried to follow what happens on paper for a simple recursion problem, except it got slightly confusing Worried
Well I kinda have an advantage because it would seem that I naturally think recursively. So an example that still happens all the time is that instead of counting how many blocks wide my minecraft house is I simply place torches all along one side and run back and forth taking a torch off each side at a time until I reach the middle. That's probably the best example of recursion you're going to get Tongue Although in real recursion you could take a torch off both sides at once.
Back to top Go down
Athanasios
Athanasios

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 am

crash703 wrote:

Lucky. In Greece, the military sucks, and we eat disgusting food, are forced to do all kinds of boring, useless exercises, and are hardly every allowed out. Fortunately, however, since I'm the oldest in a large family, (we're four siblings, in all), I only have to spend like 6 - 9 months in the army. Which is bad, but still.

Anyway, why are you taking the year off? Anything in particular, or you just haven't decided on a career choice? If so, I understand... No experience = no idea. Unless you REALLY know what you want to do from, like, a young age or something. But still.

EDIT: Oh, and please excuse my atrocious syntax. I sound like some kind of teenage girl or something... "And he was, like, SO cool, and I was like "Oh my God," and then he was all like..."

Yeah... you get the idea. Tongue Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by Athanasios on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

Athanasios wrote:

Lucky. In Greece, the military sucks, and we eat disgusting food, are forced to do all kinds of boring, useless exercises, and are hardly every allowed out. Fortunately, however, since I'm the oldest in a large family, (we're four siblings, in all), I only have to spend like 6 - 9 months in the army. Which is bad, but still.

Anyway, why are you taking the year off? Anything in particular, or you just haven't decided on a career choice? If so, I understand... No experience = no idea. Unless you REALLY know what you want to do from, like, a young age or something. But still.

Bummer. Israeli army rocks.
Back to top Go down
Athanasios
Athanasios

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:23 am

Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:

So are you actually obligated to fight? As in, you are forced to participate in any current wars, which would mean killing people? Because that would be NOTHING to get excited about.

If, on the other hand, you actually learn useful things, and are able to avoid the tragedy that is combat, then by all means, go enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 am

Athanasios wrote:
Ben wrote:

So are you actually obligated to fight? As in, you are forced to participate in any current wars, which would mean killing people? Because that would be NOTHING to get excited about.

If, on the other hand, you actually learn useful things, and are able to avoid the tragedy that is combat, then by all means, go enjoy yourself.

1. We rock in the sense that we have high standards and technology. I don't have to worry about doing pointless antique drills, or eating slush that might be made out of cow brains or chicken gizzards for dinner.

2. Not all of the army is fighting. As I said earlier, there are technology, information, and intelligence based divisions that are part of the army. Not everything is just fighting.

3. There is no current war.

4. A very small amount of soldiers are actually killed, so the chance of me being killed because I'm a soldier is almost as small as me being killed as a civilian.
Back to top Go down
Athanasios
Athanasios

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 am

Ben wrote:
Athanasios wrote:
Ben wrote:

1. We rock in the sense that we have high standards and technology. I don't have to worry about doing pointless antique drills, or eating slush that might be made out of cow brains or chicken gizzards for dinner.

2. Not all of the army is fighting. As I said earlier, there are technology, information, and intelligence based divisions that are part of the army. Not everything is just fighting.

3. There is no current war.

4. A very small amount of soldiers are actually killed, so the chance of me being killed because I'm a soldier is almost as small as me being killed as a civilian.

1_ Totally agree, and as a result envy you. A friend of mine was describing his experience with meals... horrific.

2_ I understand that not all army is fighting. That is not what I said.

3_ Good.

4_ The problem is less surviving the war... the bigger issue here is killing someone else. Not as if such a thing would not matter to me; on the contrary, should such a situation arise I would probably be lying if I said I wouldn't do all I could to survive. On the other hand, I find it difficult to imagine pulling the trigger and ending someone's life. War isn't a game, nor is it something to be glorified; modern combat is not about saving one's country from terrorists, or invaders, or some such thing; to be honest, I doubt it ever was.

But this would start a long discussion about ethics, politics, and everything in between. So forget about it. Tongue Just focus on enjoying learning cool stuff in the military, since you'll be forced to go. And maybe save me some of that food you were talking about. Maybe if Greece and Israel ever become allies, you could send me some. Hehe.

Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 am

Hehe. No. My food is mine. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Athanasios
Athanasios

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 am

Ben wrote:
Hehe. No. My food is mine. Tongue

Why does everyone have to be so mean? Humphf. Tongue
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 am

Athanasios wrote:
crash703 wrote:

EDIT: Oh, and please excuse my atrocious syntax. I sound like some kind of teenage girl or something... "And he was, like, SO cool, and I was like "Oh my God," and then he was all like..."

Yeah... you get the idea. Tongue Sorry 'bout that.
Sorry I meant that I'm planning on going into a programming career too. The only reason I would take off school for a year between highschool and college would be to save up for it. Although I'm starting an extremely well paying job next month and as I'm only a sophomore I should have enough time to save up a decent amount of money.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 am

crash703 wrote:
Sorry I meant that I'm planning on going into a programming career too. The only reason I would take off school for a year between highschool and college would be to save up for it. Although I'm starting an extremely well paying job next month and as I'm only a sophomore I should have enough time to save up a decent amount of money.

Nice. I need to find for myself a good-paying job... Tongue
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 am

Ben wrote:
crash703 wrote:

Nice. I need to find for myself a good-paying job... Tongue
Learn any programming language and then look for a programming job. From what I've heard companies think the younger the better with programmers (although I'm not sure about highschool, God was awesome and threw an all highschool intern hiring company at me though) And either way there's a high demand for programmers. And if worst comes to worst you can always go freelance and make flash games or sumthin'
Back to top Go down
Aree't'sa
Administrator
Administrator
Aree't'sa

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am

Athanasios wrote:
...The problem is less surviving the war... the bigger issue here is killing someone else. Not as if such a thing would not matter to me; on the contrary, should such a situation arise I would probably be lying if I said I wouldn't do all I could to survive. On the other hand, I find it difficult to imagine pulling the trigger and ending someone's life. War isn't a game, nor is it something to be glorified; modern combat is not about saving one's country from terrorists, or invaders, or some such thing; to be honest, I doubt it ever was...
He's Israeli. Chances are pretty good that anyone he could end up killing had it coming.

Unless he's in an artillery unit, but collateral damage doesn't really count when the enemy is using their civvies as shields.
Back to top Go down
Athanasios
Athanasios

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Aree't'sa wrote:
Athanasios wrote:
...The problem is less surviving the war... the bigger issue here is killing someone else. Not as if such a thing would not matter to me; on the contrary, should such a situation arise I would probably be lying if I said I wouldn't do all I could to survive. On the other hand, I find it difficult to imagine pulling the trigger and ending someone's life. War isn't a game, nor is it something to be glorified; modern combat is not about saving one's country from terrorists, or invaders, or some such thing; to be honest, I doubt it ever was...
He's Israeli. Chances are pretty good that anyone he could end up killing had it coming.

Unless he's in an artillery unit, but collateral damage doesn't really count when the enemy is using their civvies as shields.

Had it coming? Who's to be the judge of that? Moreover, who's to say that he gets to be the one to carry out the punishment? Why should he decide whether or not to take someone's life? Did someone give him that right?

And since when does "accidentally" killing an innocent person, who's being used a meat shield, not "count"? The hell is that supposed to mean? "Oh, he was being used as a shield by the enemy... I killed him, but that doesn't really count as an innocent's or civilian's death..."

Are you kidding me?
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Athanasios wrote:
Aree't'sa wrote:
Athanasios wrote:

Had it coming? Who's to be the judge of that? Moreover, who's to say that he gets to be the one to carry out the punishment? Why should he decide whether or not to take someone's life? Did someone give him that right?

And since when does "accidentally" killing an innocent person, who's being used a meat shield, not "count"? The hell is that supposed to mean? "Oh, he was being used as a shield by the enemy... I killed him, but that doesn't really count as an innocent's or civilian's death..."

Are you kidding me?
I think he meant that no one is going to go after him for accidentally killing enemy civilians when their "soldiers" are using them as meat shields.
Back to top Go down
michael k
New Guy
New Guy
michael k

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 am

Athanasios wrote:
Aree't'sa wrote:
Athanasios wrote:

Are you kidding me?
The terrorists like Hamas put rockets in schoolyards, and they're killing Israeli civilians. What can you really do besides destroy them?
Back to top Go down
Ru
Ru

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 am

I believe this discussion belongs in the debate thread.

On another subject, I finally finished my MOCathalon judging. That was an interesting experience.
Back to top Go down
Arnas
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
Arnas

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am

Ru wrote:

On another subject, I finally finished my MOCathalon judging. That was an interesting experience.
How was it? Was it somewhat stressful?
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Ru wrote:

How did they choose you?
Back to top Go down
Ru
Ru

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 am

Ben wrote:
Ru wrote:

How did they choose you?
Chris was looking for judges and I volunteered.
Back to top Go down
Ru
Ru

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 am

Arnas wrote:
Ru wrote:

How was it? Was it somewhat stressful?
Not really. It was mostly just tedious.
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 am

Guys come on this forum can't die again!
Back to top Go down
Ben
Root Admin
Root Admin
Ben

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm

I think it has. It might be my time to retire. I don't have time to keep the group active, and no one else is interested.
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Ben wrote:
I think it has. It might be my time to retire. I don't have time to keep the group active, and no one else is interested.
Hey c'mon man don't get depressed on us. I'm sure once the school year is over it'll get more active.
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Ben wrote:
Not interested? More like not able to be on the computer. I could do a lot for the group if I had more online time.
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm

crash703 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Hey c'mon man don't get depressed on us. I'm sure once the school year is over it'll get more active.
It will not. Trust me, everybody goes touristing around and stuff.
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Really? So I'm the only one here without a life who has free time in the summer?
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:17 pm

crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Really? So I'm the only one here without a life who has free time in the summer?
No, there is one more.
Back to top Go down
crash703
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
crash703

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Ben wrote:
No, there is one more.
You?
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:44 pm

crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
No, there is one more.
You?
Yes.
Back to top Go down
Arnas
Doing Well Enough
Doing Well Enough
Arnas

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:26 am

Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
No, there is one more.
You?
Yes.
add a thir... wait... Nope Im gone for around 4 or 7 weeks this summer Sad
Back to top Go down
Deus Otiosus
Deus Otiosus

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 EmptySat May 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Arnas wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
Deus Otiosus wrote:
crash703 wrote:
No, there is one more.
You?
Yes.
add a thir... wait... Nope Im gone for around 4 or 7 weeks this summer Sad
So will I be, but I will still stay in touch. Being a T(A)FOL comes first, then life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Fun" Chat!   "Fun" Chat! - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

"Fun" Chat!
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next